Bellow we explain how to calculate bioethanol fireplace running costs. The company selling the fireplace should be able to quote a tray capacity, the heat output and the running time eg when the fuel will run out. With that information you can calculate the bioethanol fireplace running costs.
Bioethanol Fireplace Running Costs
These fires do give off heat, as they have a live flame, however they should only be considered as a secondary heat source, adding supplemental heat to the room they are used in. Overall, bioethanol fires are decorative. They are for homes where there is no chimney or gas and you still want a living flame in the room for effect.
Bioethanol Fireplace Running Costs Explained
The calculation depends on the information that is quoted, presumably the manufacturer has done some tests and will quote figures. This is a difficult one as it depends on a number of factors.To make the example I have used an average of a p 1ltr fuel bottle at £4.
The factors that affect the running costs
- The capacity of the burner tray.
- The width or area of the burner slot.
- The heat output rating of the burner tray.
I recently saw a company advertising different burners online as below.
- 200mm wide, 2kw output, 0.4 ltr capacity and 3 hours burn time.
- 340mm wide, 3kw output, 1.2 ltr capacity and 3 hours burn time.
- 600mm wide, 4kw output, 2 ltr capacity and 3 hours burn time.
- 1000mm wide, 6kw output, 3 ltr capacity and 3 hours burn time.
All of these burners were advertised with ceramic sponge wool fitted to the burner. The ceramic wool sponge reduces the capacity of the tray, stabalises the flame and helps to lower the running costs. Read our guide to buying, installing and using bioethanol fireplace ceramic sponge in the burner tray.
What are the Running Costs for these Bioethanol Fires
The running costs of the bioethanol fireplaces shown above are calculated below are based on the £4/liter of fuel, you can buy bioethanol fuel cheaper in bulk and from various suppliers but for this example, £4 is just for ease of calculating.
#1 – This is a small bioethanol burner with moderate heat, in a well insulated home with central heating 2kw secondary heat is probably OK, similar to a small radiator. The costs would be : (0.4 x £4)/3 = £0.53/hour or 27p/kw
#2 – This is a medium sized bioethanol burner with more heat output than #1. The costs would be : (1.2 x £4)/3 = £1.60/hour or 53p/kw
#3 – This is a long bioethanol ribbon flame burner with a large flame. The costs would be : £2.67 per hour or 67p/kw
#4 – This is a very long bioethanol burner with a large flame and 6kw of heat. The costs would be : £4/hour or 67p/kw
As you can see the wider, longer and more powerful the fire the faster the fuel is burned. When deciding which burner to buy consider the heat you require eg do you desire lots of heat and therefore you will need a bigger fireplace and the running costs will be greater. Or is it just decorative and therefore a smaller fire will generate some heat at lower running costs.
Some Extra Points to Consider
On a manual burner, with a sliding lid it may be possible to partially close the lid and reduce the flame and in turn reducing the heat and costs. Also, it is worth noting the running costs of a manual bioethanol burner (as shown in the examples above) will be higher than an expensive remote control bioethanol burner. This is due to the way the remote control burners are designed and the way they burn the fuel. The last time I checked remote control bio fuel burners start from around £3000.
Before buying a bio-ethanol fireplace ask yourself questions and make sure you know your requirements, that way you will buy the correct type of fire.
- Installation requirements?
- Does the fire need to be portable?
- What heat output do you need?
- Safety considerations?
- Type of you will use?
- Design style?
Read our technical guides to bioethanol fuel fireplaces listed below for more help choosing a bioethanol fireplace for your home. The best advice is to read the manufacturers installation and operation instructions before you start handling the fuel or using the fire.
Bio-Ethanol Fireplace Technical Pages
Read our technical guides listed below for more help choosing an bioethanol fuel fireplace for your home. The best advice is to read the manufacturers installation and operation instructions that are supplied with the bioethanol fireplace or gel fire before you start to use it and before you start handling the fuel. Bioethanol fires and gel burners are a great way to add heat and a living flame to a property. Buy following some common safety procedures you will get the best performance and use out of your fireplace product.
- Bio Ethanol Fireplace Explained, Operation and Use
- Bio-Ethanol Fireplace Fuel Explained
- Choosing a Freestanding Bio Ethanol Fireplace Design
- Convert a Wood Burning Stove to Bio Ethanol Fuel
- Converting a Traditional Fireplace to Bioethanol Fuel
- Gel Burners and Gel Fuel Cans – Buying Guide
- Guide to Adding Pebbles to a Bio-ethanol Fireplace
- Guide to Buying a Table Top Bio Ethanol Fire
- Guide to Buying an Outdoor Bio Ethanol Fireplace or Gel Burner
- Guide to Ceramic Wool Sponge Use in a Bioethanol Burner
- Guide to Choosing a Bio-Ethanol Burner Tray Insert Firebox
- Guide to Choosing a Bio-Ethanol Fireplace
- Installation Guide for Wall Mounted Bio Ethanol Fireplace Designs
- Ventilation for Bioethanol Fireplace and Gel Burner Fires
Latest New Bioethanol Products and Posts
Below are the latest posts and new bioethanol fireplace and gel fire products that have been added to the web site. We are adding new products and blog posts all the time. Bookmark the site or join the mailing list to keep up to date with new product releases and special offers.
- Modern Bio Ethanol Fire 1200 x 400 Wide Fireplace BioFire
- Modern Bio Ethanol Fire 900 x 400 Wide Fireplace BioFire
- Does Bio Ethanol Fuel Evaporate
- How Long Does 1 Litre of Bioethanol Fuel Last
- How Much Heat Does a Bioethanol Fire Produce
Our website has been created to show the latest special offers on bioethanol fireplaces, give general technical help, answer frequently asked questions, explain how the technology works, discuss the fireplace operation, highlight bioethanol fireplace safety considerations and to discuss bioethanol fireplace installation issues. Use the menu bar at the top to navigate this website and find your new bio-ethanol fireplace or gel fire burner. Visit our savings page and look for the best prices on bio-ethanol fireplaces and gel fire burners. The site is expanding and new products are added daily so come back and visit us regularly.
We have a number of advertising opportunities for Bioethanol Fuel Fireplaces available. To discuss fireplace marketing use the contact button in the menu above and send your details.